Friday, September 6, 2013

September 6, 2013


You are your child’s PFD!! 
In confirmation last week I learned that I am my child’s PFD, personal faith developer.  As parents we are given the task of developing our child’s faith.  Do not fear you are not alone in this task.  The Holy Spirit will help you along with Zion Church and School.  You may wonder what a PFD does; 
Pastor Rouland gives three responsibilities:  
set an example, be authentic, and be faithful.  
May God bless you in your job of PFD! 

A Look Ahead:

Religion: Joseph and his family 
Memory: Hebrews 11:1
Reading: We will begin our guided reading groups next week 
Literacy Centers
     phonics: work with ending sounds in words
     alphabet: statement sentences
     writing: write a book about colors
     math: ordering numerals and writing numbers to 20
     name: sight word activity
     poetry: Read A Color poem
     computer: www.tinyurl.com/zionshapes
Spelling: Lesson 4
Grammar:  Question Sentences
Math:  We will be working with money, identifying numbers, and putting numbers into sets
Science: Plants and their parts
Social Studies: All about Me
Art: Paul Klee

We will start our guided reading groups next week.  I feel the children are working independently at centers and are ready to start the next step.  

You will see in your child's homework folder that the reading log for September has been stapled into the pocket.  Please read with and have your child read!!!

I have pretested each child on the sight words for first grade.  I testing each child using the first list.  If the child was able to read the first list I would go on to the next lists.  After a child missed about 10 words I would stop the testing.  Each child is coming home with a list of their individual sight words.  Please work with your child.  The words will be retested the first week in October.  I have included a two sided paper that shows all the word lists for first and second grade.

A dress code reminder:  I have noticed several student wearing cargo shorts with big pockets on the legs.  These are not part of our dress code.  Students can wear any khaki, black, or blue shorts that do not have the big cargo pockets.  As well students should wear a polo shirt with no brand or pocket on the front.  Thank you

FIELD TRIP:  Our first field trip is FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 20.  We will be going to the Missouri Botanical Garden from 8:30-1:30 to do a tour about plants.  The chaperones for the trip are: Tina Hall, Kristin Young, Cara Merritt, Linda Phipps, and a Cooseman parent.  If you have been randomly selected but cannot attend let me know ASAP.
LOOK FOR A PERMISSION SLIP NEXT WEEK!

FREE STUFF - Please take a second and sign the HIGHLIGHTS and PUZZLE BUZZ forms.  I only need a parent's signature to earn points towards free classroom stuff. You do not need to order or give your address all I need it a SIGNATURE.  Thanks

Please join me this weekend as we worship our Savior in church.  I hope you have begun noticing your child participating more in the service.  Be your child's PDF.  Give them the opportunity to worship together with their christian family.

In HIM,
Amy

Enjoy pictures from our week
Have you signed up for the FALL FUNDRAISER BOBCAT SHUFFLE?
Have you invited friends to join you in the FUN?
Have you ask family to participate in the SLEEP IN option with a donation of $25?
We painted warm and cool colors, focusing on curved lines.


We are trying to make Op Art!

Math Center

Poetry Center

Writing Center

Spelling Center

Alphabet Center

Phonics Center



We love the SHARK prayer!

Learning about ending sounds



We gave a plant everything it needs inside a balloon.
We gave it soil.

We added seeds.

We put in water.
We blew...

and we blew...





and we blew into the balloon CO2.

Now it needs light.


Mrs. Bernhardt is going to hang them in the window after school!

WATCH OUR VIDEO AND GUESS THE RIDDLE!













No comments:

Post a Comment