Last week I talked about the gift of a Christian Education. This week I want to tell you about another gift my parents gave to me, it was the gift of weekly worship together. When I was growing up there was no question what we would be doing on Sunday morning. We would be in church and Bible Study or Sunday School. We went to church as a family, 8:00. I didn't always like getting up for early church and many times as a teenager I begged to drive myself to a later service. But my parents insisted that we went to church together. I still remember being on vacation and finding a local church to attend. Yes, I think I would have rather got up and swam some more on vacation but on Sunday we went to church. Wow, what an impression. God is most important. My parents showed me that in their actions. God is worth one hour even on vacation. I continue to worship on a weekly basis. Jon and I try to always go to church as a family. But times are different and my girls often have games on Sunday. Yet we ALWAYS make sure that church is part of our weekend. Even if it means going on Monday night at Chapel of the Cross. I am thankful for the opportunity to worship weekly for it is in worship that God comes to us and fills us up for the coming week, where God forgives us and gives us new life, where we stand with the body of believes and are built up, where we hear God's word explained to us, where we belong. We are in a new year and a new quarter here at school, maybe weekly worship could goal for you this year/quarter. It would be a great gift to give your family.
A look ahead:
Memory: John 3:16
Religion: Nicodemus Visits Jesus
Grammar: Adjectives
Spelling: Lesson 18, review short e words
Math: adding two digit numbers without regrouping
Science: Space Unit -Tentative Test FRIDAY
Art: Jim Dine
Literacy Centers:
Writing: writing speech with quotation marks
Phonics: sorting ur, er, ir
Alphabet: alphabetical order
Name: using antonyms
Poetry: illustrating the poem, Alice Where are You Going
Math: working with even and odd numbers
Computer:
Dates to Remember:
Wednesday, January 16- Donuts for Dads, join us from 7-7:45 in the church basement for a donut breakfast, dads are invited to stay for Chapel at 8:05-8:50. I look forward to sharing ONE donut each with the dads and kids!
Friday, January 18- Field trip to the Florissant Civic Center to see the play Charlotte's Web.
We will have an early sack lunch in our rooms and will travel by bus. The chaperones for this field trip are Kim Bertel and Megan Lay. We will leave around 11:15 and return at 2:30. PLEASE HAVE YOUR CHILD WEAR THEIR SHINE FIELD TRIP SHIRT AND UNIFORM BOTTOMS!
Saturday, January 26 at 5:00 pm - We sing in church to help celebrate Lutheran Schools Week.
Friday, February 1- One Hundred Day Celebration!! We need many parent helpers to help prep and run centers. Adrienne Collins is graciously planning this day for us. Please email here if you can help. adriennemiller2@hotmail.com Thanks
GRANDPARENTS DAY - Save the Date: We invited all Grandparents or special adult friend to attend school on March 8th, from 8-12. More information and invitation to come!
BLUE BAGS: I went through and reorganized the Blue Bags. Each bag has 5 books. Remember these books are to be read through the week or weekend and returned to school on Monday. Please check the bags to make sure all 5 books are in the bag before returning. Many of these books are my personal books and 12 books were "lost" during first semester.
100 CERAL BOXES: We will need 100 empty cereal boxes by February 1. Please send in your empty cereal boxes!!!
100th Day Service Project: As a service project for Lutheran Schools Week we will try to collect 100 baby food jars to donate to THRIVE, an pro-life organization. Baby food jars maybe sent in beginning January 28.
SIX FLAGS READING PROGRAM: We are participating in the Six Flags Reading Program. Check the Friday Folder for a letter explaining the program and a recording sheet. READING LOGS will be DUE FEBRUARY 27.
AUCTION ROUND UP- THE AUCTION COMMITTEE IS COLLECTING ITEMS FOR THE AUCTION - PLEASE BRING ITEMS NEXT WEEK- THE CLASS THAT BRINGS IN THE ITEMS WITH THE MOST VALUE WILL WIN A FIELD TRIP TO PLANET FUN. SEE THE BANNER FOR MORE DETAILS. I WOULD LOVE TO WIN ( FOR THE FOURTH YEAR IN A ROW) !!
SECOND QUARTER REPORT CARDS: In your Friday Folder is your child's Second Quarter Report Card. If you have any questions or concerns please contact me.
As we are now in Third Quarter and I will be preparing the students for Second Grade. I will expect them to be more independent. You can work on independence at home as well. Have you child be more responsible for getting their school things together and if they forget let them face the consequence here at school. I love to work with students on helping them solve their own problems. It is hard to solve a problem if moms and dads solve them before the child has a chance! For example if your child forgets the homework folder please allow the child to solve the problem at school rather than bringing the folder up to school. Thanks for your help.
This weekend we celebrate Jesus' Baptism. We have been taking a lot about Baptism and have had great conversations. Tell your child about their baptism they would love to here the story. If you child is not baptized and you or your child are interested in baptism please feel free to talk to me or a pastor about baptism.
Enjoy worship this weekend!
In HIM,
Amy
I am sorry for the lack of pictures we have had a busy week and I forgot to take pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment