Friday, January 13, 2017

January 13, 2017


                             

Last week I talked about the gift of a Christian Education.  This week I want to tell you about another gift my parents gave to me, it was the gift of weekly worship together.  When I was growing up there was no question what we would be doing on Sunday morning.  We would be in church and Bible Study or Sunday School.  We went to church as a family, 8:00.  I didn't always like getting up for early church and many times as a teenager I begged to drive myself to a later service.  But my parents insisted that we went to church together. I still remember being on vacation and finding a local church to attend.  Yes, I think I would have rather got up and swam some more on vacation but on Sunday we went to church.  Wow, what an impression.  God is most important.  My parents showed me that in their actions.  God is worth one hour even on vacation.  I continue to worship on a weekly basis.  Jon and I  try to always go to church as a family.  But times are different and my girls often have games on Sunday.  Yet we ALWAYS make sure that church is part of our weekend.  Even if it means going on Monday night at Chapel of the Cross.  I am thankful for the opportunity to worship weekly for it is in worship that God comes to us and fills us up for the coming week, where God forgives us and gives us new life, where we stand with the body of believes and are built up, where we hear God's word explained to us, where we belong.  We are in a new year and a new quarter here at school, maybe weekly worship could goal for you this year/quarter.  It would be a great gift to give your family.

A look ahead: 

NO SCHOOL MONDAY FOR MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY

Memory: John 10:27

Religion: Jesus Calls His Disciples
Grammar: irregular plural nouns
Spelling: Lesson 16 TEST for week 15 on TUESDAY
Math: subtracting 2 facts and using dimes and pennies
Science: animal habitats
Art: Jim Dine 

Literacy Centers:

word work: building real and nonsense words
reading: read visualize and draw
sentences: building super sentences
writing: writing about Martin Luther King Jr.

As we are now in Third Quarter and I will be preparing the students for Second Grade.  I will expect them to be more independent.  You can work on independence at home as well.  Have you child be more responsible for getting their school things together and if they forget let them face the consequence here at school.  I love to work with students on helping them solve their own problems.  It is hard to solve a problem if moms and dads solve them before the child has a chance!  For example if your child forgets the homework folder please allow the child to solve the problem at school rather than bringing the folder up to school.  Thanks for your help.

I will also be grading the papers more carefully and will be working with the students on how to follow directions.  I will be marking reversals and capital letters wrong on spelling tests.


I have seen too many CAR papers.  Please remind your child to work carefully on their math homework papers. You can check over the papers and then tell them I see one wrong can you find it?  This way you are helping them learn to check their work.



VALENTINES:  We will be making our valentine boxes here AT SCHOOL.  Each child may bring Valentines to hand out.  Please include a Valentine for each child in our class.  PLEASE NO CANDY!  This year we are asking that you DO NOT send candy to school with the Valentines.  Our party will be on February 14
Thank you

Our Class List

Duncan          Eli          Delaney          Kayleigh            Avery
Kylie               Ben       Cannon           Finley                Kate
Owen             Will        Ella                 Amelia               Violet
Kaleb             Bailee    Sophia            Caileigh             Caleb

Friday, January 27- One Hundred Day Celebration!! We need many parent helpers to help prep and run centers.   

Mrs. Christy Wegener is graciously planning this day for us.  If you are able to help with this day please email her: wegenerchristi@gmail.com. 
We need about 12 parents between the two classes to help.  If you are not able to come and still want to help we need donations and prep work.  Please email Christy Wegener.


100 CERAL BOXES:  We will need 100 empty cereal boxes by January 23.  Please send in your empty cereal boxes!!!


ZION OPEN HOUSE: January 22, 1-3 pm Invite your friends to see for themselves the great things happening at ZION.


Wednesday February 1 is a half day for the students.  


February 4, 5:00 We sing in church.  Please mark your calendars!

SIX FLAGS READING PROGRAM:  We are participating in the Six Flags Reading Program.  Don't forget READING LOGS will be DUE FEBRUARY 27.


GRANDPARENTS DAY - Save the Date: We invited all Grandparents or special adult friend to attend school on March 10, from 8-12.  More information and invitation to come!



February 10, 9:05-10:05 JUMP ROPE FOR HEART
Keep getting donations and earning the ZOO CREW.  If you can help please email Mrs. Steinbacher at msteinbacher@zionharvester.org





DO YOU HAVE OLD SHOES?
 I have a friend who is a  a member of Vision Leadership of St. Charles County. They are collected shoes for Shoes & Hope. (www.shoesandhope.org) The shoes are collected and the clients at Community Living in the Adult Services Day Program are able to sort the shoes, creating a job for them. Community Living has been sorting shoes for Shoes & Hope since September 2015. (Communitylivingmo.org). The money Shoes and Hope receives from selling of your used shoes will go to fund clean drinking water projects.  Send shoes into school and I will pass them along.  Thanks

TUESDAY in MUSIC is instrument day.  Your child may bring in an instrument to play.


LUTHERAN SCHOOLS WEEK: JANUARY 23-27 !
Special Dress Up Days...
Monday: P.J. Day
  • Wear pajamas/sweats
  • May bring one stuffed animal/pillow
  • May wear slippers (bring change of shoes for outside)

Tuesday: Fake Injury Day
  • Throw on your bandages and slings we are all broken today
  • No injuries that impair your ability to function and/or cause a mess
  • Jeans optional

Wednesday: Character Day
  • Dress up as a favorite Bible, book, or movie character
  • Jeans optional

Thursday: Ultimate Spirit Day
  • Do you have the Spirit in you?
  • Wear your Red, White, and Black to show your Zion Lutheran School Spirit
  • Jeans optional

Friday: Holiday Day
  • Bring out your cheesy holiday gear and show your festive fun
  • Ideas: 4th of July, Easter, Christmas, Valentines Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Thanksgiving, or all of the above!
  • Jeans optional
Enjoy the 4 day weekend!

In HIM,
Amy Bernhardt

Enjoy a peek at our week cut short by ICE:

Centers:




 




Practicing Spelling

Working on Animal Homes


Math and Secret Codes



Painting snowmen


Donuts for Dads















 (sorry if I missed anyone)
Mr. Marolf talked to us about Dads.

Epiphany is more than one day.  We will be studying how Jesus is revealed as God's Son.  Our journey will take us to Lent and His sacrifice for us.



Math and halves


Food Chains




No comments:

Post a Comment